Ruby is the most valuable variety of the corundum mineral species, which also includes sapphire.
The word ruby comes from the Latin rubens which means red.
Rubies are found in shades of red, from rich darkish red to pigeon blood red and pinkish red. The red hue comes from traces of the mineral chromium.
Ruby is the birthstone for July. It is also a traditional gift for those celebrating 15th or 40th anniversaries.
Rubies are extremely strong, registering 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness. They are as resilient as sapphires and only slightly softer than diamonds.
Rubies have been found all over the world, including in Myanmar (formerly Burma), Africa, Australia and the USA. The majority of rubies for sale at Israel-Diamonds originate in Myanmar, Thailand and other locations in Asia.
The most precious rubies are those with a full, rich red color with just a hint of blue tones. Originally, the finest rubies were mined in Myanmar and it is from there that the term Burmese ruby began to describe the finest rubies.
Almost all rubies have flaws. Rubies without imperfections are exceptionally rare and command prices even higher than diamonds of a similar weight and quality.
The world's largest ruby is owned by a Chinese jewelry company. It weighs 8184 g (40920 Carat) and measures 5.11 x 5.43 x 5.70 inches.
Rubies, because of their brilliant red hues, are often related to themes concerning the essence and vibrancy of life. If there is one gemstone that represents the passion of love, it is the ruby.
Almost all natural rubies are treated to improve their color and strengthen them. This is standard practice in the jewelry industry and is accepted by the American Gem Trade Association and Shine Stones.
All about Ruby Gemstones
Rubies can command the highest per-carat price of any colored stone. This makes ruby one of the most important gems in the colored stone market. In its purest form, the mineral corundum is colorless. Trace elements that become part of the mineral’s crystal structure cause variations in its color. Chromium is the trace element that causes ruby’s red color.
Birthstones & Anniversaries
Ruby is the birthstone for July and the gem for the 15th and 40th anniversaries.
In Sanskrit, ruby is ratnaraj, meaning the king of gems.
Myanmar’s legendary valley of rubies; the source of many of the world’s most fabulous gems.
On May 12, 2015, a 25.59-carat ruby ring sold for $1,266,901 per carat, setting a new record at auction for a colored gemstone.
- Mineral: Corundum
- Chemical composition: Al2O3
- Color: Red
- Refractive index: 1.762 to 1.770
- Birefringence: 0.008 to 0.010
- Specific gravity: 4.00 (+/- 0.05)
- Mohs Hardness: 9
Rubies are made from the mineral corundum or aluminum oxide. When rubies are treated to extreme heat and pressure, they are formed under the earth’s surface. Corundum is made of densely packed oxygen and aluminum atoms. Typically, this results in a colorless substance. However, when some of the aluminum atoms are replaced by other minerals or substances, the stone can take on other colors. This is how the ruby is formed and gets it’s deep red hue. Specifically the presence of chromium creates the deep red color. Rare orange and pink shades of ruby are created by the presence of chromium and ferric iron. If 1% of the aluminum atoms are replaced by chromium atoms, the ruby forms a deep red color. Learn more about ruby color.
However, the presence of silica or iron, prevents the formation of ruby. Since this are both very commonly present in the earth’s crust, rubies are rare to find. To add to that, corundum is also a rare mineral.
The majority of ruby deposits are found in Asia in countries including Myanmar, Thailand, India, Pakistan and Nepal. Rubies are found along the stretch of land that borders the Himalayan mountain range. As the continents of Asia and the Indian subcontinent collided with each other, the immense pressure and presence of certain minerals created a deposit of rubies. The formation of rubies dates back to 50 million years ago. Additional ruby deposits can also be found in Madagascar, Macedonia and Montana.
The majority of rubies have imperfections that are formed naturally when the ruby is developing in the earth. These characteristics are commonly referred to as rutile needles, or silk. These rutile needles are a distinguishing factor between natural and lab-created rubies. Check out more information about ruby inclusions and clarity.
Some gemstones have synthetic counterparts that have essentially the same chemical, physical, and optical properties, but are grown by man in a laboratory.
Any gem can be imitated—sometimes by manmade materials or by natural materials chosen by man to impersonate a particular gem.
- 1 Intense Red Glow
Fine ruby glows with intense red in sunlight thanks to red fluorescence, which intensifies its red color.
- 2 First laser
The first laser was created in1960 using the red fluorescence light emitted by ruby.
- 3 Chromium
Chromium causes ruby's red. Gemologists consider it the "rock star" of trace elements.
The prices of fine-quality rubies have been breaking auction records.
Color is the most significant factor affecting a ruby’s value: Fine gems are a pure, vibrant red to slightly purplish red.
If a ruby's inclusions affect its transparency or brilliance they reduce the gem’s value significantly.
Rubies are commonly fashioned as mixed cuts, which have brilliant-cut crowns and step-cut pavilions.
- Carat Weight
Fine-quality rubies over one carat are very rare and price goes up significantly as size increases.
Ruby gemstone is related to the planet Sun this gemstone attracts almost all individuals. Ruby stone is also called Manik Ratna in Hindi. Wearing this stone bless with the positive powers of The Sun. Moreover, it showers its wearer with immense favors.
However, to earn all these benefits, it is suggested by the astrologers that stone should be worn following all the rules and rituals, otherwise wearing this Sun ruled gemstone does not bring sweet results.
However, the irony of the situation is that many people in actual don’t know how to wear ruby gemstone and in lack of awareness adopt this stone is such a way that it does not bring any positive changes in their lives.
Procedure of Wearing Ruby Gemstone
- The weight of the ruby stone should be in between 3 carat to 6 carats. Ideally a stone whose weight varies in between these two figures are considered to be the best ruby stone.
- Ruby stone should ideally be embedded either in Gold or Silver to experience the best results.
- Purposed day wear this stone is Sunday at morning between 5 am to 6 am. If possible, it should be worn during the Shukla Paksha.
- Before wearing ruby stone should be kept into Gangajal or honey in order to exculpate all the negativities from the stone.
- While wearing this stone burn 5 sticks of incense and pray to the god Sun for your well-being. Now hold the ring in your hand and round incense around the ring for 11 times
- After this recite the following Mantra of Sun “ॐ सूर्याय नम” and wear stone in your ring finger.
- The ruby gemstone will start paying off good results to you after 30 days post wearing and it will continue to shower you with his blessing till four years. And then it will become inactive.
- It has also kept in mind that in order to cherish the benefits of wearing this stone, clean your stone on regular intervals.
Benefits of Wearing Ruby Gemstone
Ruby Gemstone being ruled by the Planet of the principal source of energy in the universe attracts wisdom, wealth, prosperity to its wearer.
- Wearing this stone ward-off against all the blood related diseases. Eventually, a person who is suffering from blood diseases should wear this stone.
- A native who is born under the Zodiac sign Leo and born in the month of July should adopt this stone to enroll themselves to cherish all the benefits being offered by Sun led ruby stone.
- Wearing ruby stone enhances the concentration and memory power of its native. Moreover, it invokes spirituality and kindness in the heart of its native.
- This is a very much a heart centered stone, and it personifies the Divine love of the Creator.
- It is a stone of manifestation, and will also support the retention of wealth, spirituality.
- The ruby gemstone is known to bring spark and aliveness in its wearer life.
- It eradicates sadness and depression from its wearer life. This gemstone enacts as a safeguard to protect its wearer against evil spirit, bad dreams
Ruby Gemstone Signification
Being Ruled by the Sun it signifies wisdom, the power of communication, intellect, spirituality, divine, brain, education, love, prosperity, wealth.
Before wearing a ruby stone do consult an astrologer. It is also said that ascendant of all zodiac sign can wear this stone, after evaluating the position of the Sun in their birth-chart.
This is a blockquote element. It's styled from the Journal admin Typography style. You can edit lots of options including the custom icon on the side, font and other text styles, padding, background, etc.
The new advanced Status mechanism allow you to set up modules and menus based on device, customer login status or customer groups.
The new Schedule feature allows you to display any module at specific dates in the future, or to disable any module automatically at a certain time and date.
Imagine the possibilities and peace of mind...designing your promotional banners or sliders, or entire product modules that only show up on specific dates and are disabled automatically whenever you don't need them anymore.
These are just a few of the outstanding features available in the new Journal 3 framework, there are so many new options and possibilities that it will takes us a very long time to list them all.
Responsive video embeds with max width and float options, as well as full container styles on the video-responsive class. Display videos in your descriptions, blog posts, or custom modules anywhere on the page. Just wrap the iframe in additional div elements with the required classes and you have full control over your video layout.
The above element is a fully customizable
hr element, including custom icon options. Unprecedented control over your elements directly from the admin.
-1 OR 3*2>(0+5+938-938)
-1\' OR 2+559-559-1=0+0+0+1 --
-1\' OR 3+559-559-1=0+0+0+1 --
-1\' OR 3*2<(0+5+559-559) --
-1\' OR 3+353-353-1=0+0+0+1 or \'43Zv7xzp\'=\'
-1\' OR 3*2<(0+5+353-353) or \'43Zv7xzp\'=\'
-1; waitfor delay \'0:0:8.75\' --
1 waitfor delay \'0:0:8.75\' --
-1));select pg_sleep(13.125); --
Leave a Comment